58 min. (1 CD / 1 DVD / MP3)
In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says to the people: “Think not that I have come to abolish the Law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them” (Matthew 5:17).
In this Bible study, Dr. Pitre takes two aspects of the ancient Jewish Law: the daily “perpetual sacrifice” known as the Tamid and the weekly day of rest and worship known as the Sabbath and shows how Jesus truly fulfilled both of these Jewish feasts in his passion, death, and resurrection from the grave. In this ground-breaking Bible study, you’ll learn about:
• The Jewish Liturgical Year: How the Jews followed a liturgical calendar much like Catholics today, with daily, seasonal, and annual feasts—all of which are fulfilled by Jesus
• The “Perpetual Sacrifice”: How the daily Jewish sacrifice known as the tamid (“perpetual offering”) points forward to and was fulfilled in a unique way by Jesus’ passion and death
• Why Jesus Was Crucified at 3 p.m.: The Evangelists stress that Jesus died at the “ninth hour” (=3p.m.) on Friday afternoon. Why? What would this time have meant to a first-century Jew?
• What the Jewish People were Praying for in the Temple at the Time of Jesus’ Death: The Jewish Rabbis have preserved an ancient form of the “Eighteen Benedictions,” which were prayed by Jews daily in the Temple; find out how God answered their prayers for redemption and the coming of the Messiah at the very moment they were praying for them.
• How Jesus fulfilled the Jewish Sabbath: Why do Catholics worship on Sunday rather than Saturday (the Jewish Sabbath)? How did Jesus’ fulfillment of the Sabbath usher in a new creation?
If you’ve ever been confronted by Seventh-Day Adventist rejections of Sunday worship, if you’re looking to get more out of meditation this Lent, or if you’ve ever just wanted to understand the mystery of Jesus’ death and Resurrection more deeply, then this Bible study is for you.
Always drawn to Dr Pitre's teaching style. This lesson gives me so much to contemplate. There's always so much I learn. You just don't hear these things in a "church" Bible Study.
This is such an amazing presentation! Dr Pitre draws so much from the Old Testament to bring a whole new dimension to Jesus' Death and Resurrection - and how Jesus' himself would have understood the profound implications of what He was doing, for the rest of humanity! I cannot recommend this highly enough to any Christian - not just Catholic!
Another excellent video. I do appreciate getting quality lectures from a clear, erudite speaker.
Dr. Pitre very clearly explains little known daily and Sabbath sacrifices carried out by the Jews in their Temple and how Jesus's crucifixion (ultimate sacrifice) mimic's the Jewish traditional sacrifices.
The Jewish Roots of Jesus Death and Resurrection