25 hours 1 min. (23 CDs / MP3)
Have you ever tried to read the Old Testament from start to finish and failed? Does reading it make you feel like you’re in a foreign land, where you don’t understand the language, the customs, the people, and places? If so, then you’re probably like many Christians, who would like to know more about the Old Testament, but who find when reading it that it is downright hard to understand.
In this exciting Bible study, Dr. Brant Pitre takes you on a personal ‘guided tour’ of the essential people, places, and events in the Old Testament. Over the course of this journey, you will discover the basic keys that every Catholic needs to understand the Old Testament, as well as insights into important and controversial issues such as:
• The Origin of the Old Testament: How did we get the Old Testament, and why do different Christians have different books in their canons?
• Historical Reliability: Did the Exodus really happen, or is it a myth? Did King David exist, or has archeology proven him to be a legend? What about Genesis and the lives of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?
• Holy War and the “Dark Passages”: How should we understand the difficult parts of the Old Testament, such as its descriptions of polygamy and holy war?
• Typology: How are the persons, places, and events in the Old Testament fulfilled in the New Testament and the Catholic Church?
• Prophecies of the Messiah: What are the major prophecies of the Messiah in the Old Testament? How are they interpreted by Jews and Christians, and how are they fulfilled in Christ?
• The Seven Covenants: What are the seven major covenants of the Old Testament? And how do they reveal God’s plan for all humanity?
In this course, Dr. Pitre’ goal is to give you the “big picture” of salvation history and typology in the old covenant. If you ever wanted to learn how the New Testament is concealed in the Old and the Old Testament is revealed in the New, then this is the Bible study for you.