4 hours 39 min. (4 CDs / 4 DVDs / MP3)
[DVD1: 1 hr 17 min, DVD2: 1 hr 12 min, DVD3: 1 hr 18 min, DVD4: 53 min]
Have you ever wondered: How did we get the Bible? Where does the Bible come from? And why are there different Bibles? In this primer for anyone interested in Bible study, Dr. Pitre takes you through a three-part study of the origins of the Old and New Testaments. Particular focus is given to the history of how the canon, the official list of books in the Bible, came to be, and the central role the Catholic Church played in the formation of the canon. Dr. Pitre also explores the reliability and authorship of the Gospels, and whether or not we can have confidence that the canon of Scripture is reliable. This fascinating series will answer questions such as:
• Where did the Bible come from?
• Why are there so many different versions of the Bible?
• Why are those books in the Bible?
• What was the Jewish Bible like at the time of Jesus?
• Why are there seven less books in Protestant Bibles than in Catholic Bibles?
• How do we know that the Gospels are reliable?<
• What are the Dead Sea Scrolls and the “Lost Gospels”?
• How did Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformers change the Bible?
• What about “Sola Scriptura” and belief in the “Bible Alone”?
Whether you’re a beginner or a lifelong student of the Bible, you’re sure to gain new and exciting insights from this informative series. So, if you’re interested in learning about the hottest selling book in the history of mankind, then this Bible study on the Bible is for you!
Everything that I have heard from Dr. Pitre is top-notch. It is always well presented, important, pertinent information. I have begun to listen to them repeatedly so that I better understand the faith and can hopefully explain it to others.
Really good stuff, especially from the Church Fathers
These talks are great! They go into great detail about the where the Bible came from and Dr. Pitre does a good job of clearing up misconceptions that people have about the Bible. The information is presented in such a way that you don't get lost. Dr. Pitre walks you through, from the beginning to the end. I definitely recommend them!
Most detailed, compact organized Origin of the Bible discussion I have heard.