22 hours 16 min. (20 CDs / MP3)
Many Catholics want to study the Bible, but aren’t quite sure where to start. What do I need to know first? What does the Catholic Church teach about Scripture? What rules do I follow in order to interpret the Bible correctly? And how can I study in such a way that not only gives me knowledge, but deepens my spiritual life?
In this full-length college course, Dr. Brant Pitre lays the foundations for a thoroughly Catholic approach to Sacred Scripture. In this course, you will learn about the following important topics:
• The Canon: What is the Bible? How did we get it? Who decided which books are included in Scripture and how does this help us interpret it correctly?
• Inspiration: Is the Bible “inspired” by God? If so, what exactly does this mean? How does inspiration make Scripture different from any other book?
• Inerrancy: Can we trust the Bible? Are there errors in Scripture? What is the Church’s official teaching on the truth of Scripture, and has it changed since Vatican II?
• Apparent Contradictions: Is there any way to reconcile the apparent contradictions in the Bible, like in Genesis 1 and 2 or regarding the Date of the Last Supper?
• Interpretation: How do Catholics interpret the Bible? What rules and methods does the Church follow? What about the historical-critical interpretation of Scripture? Why has Pope Benedict called it “indispensable”?
• The Lectionary: How do I make sense of the readings at Mass? How is the Lectionary put together, and what keys unlock the Liturgy’s interpretation of Scripture?
• The Four Senses: What are the “four senses” of Scripture, and how can they help me draw out the riches of God’s Word?
• Lectio Divina: Why did the monks call Scripture the “Ladder of Paradise,” and why is Scripture an essential part of the life of prayer?
Using the papal encyclicals on Scripture, the teachings of Vatican II and the Catechism, the recent apostolic letter of Pope Benedict XVI and his own experience as a biblical scholar, Dr. Pitre will take you on an exciting tour of everything you ever wanted to know about the Bible and what the Catholic Church believes about Sacred Scripture.
I'm a Ukrainian Catholic priest living in Ohio. I absolutely love this course!
May God bless him and his family!
Very in-depth and challenging! Supplementary keyed notes are helpful but missing some notes from those that had been placed on the board. Fortunately, I have many of books that are referenced. Excellent for guidance and apologetics.
The more I study with Dr Pitre the more I appreciate his style. He's an amazing theologian and Bible scholar but he's also very relate-able. He allows his content to be extremely complex but makes you feel like you too can understand.
Absolutely wonderful Bible review. I downloaded the study to my computer then transferred it to my mobile device (iPhone) and printed the notes. Great listening to on my international flight and each night before bed. The study is very informative and in of its self a wonderful tool to expand one's knowledge of the Bible and Catholic exegesis.
I am leading a Bible Study for a parish and have used this course to plan both my syllabus and the majority of my talks. Dr. Pitre provides helpful insight into the fundamental questions of Biblical literature and theology. An excellent resource for any catechist.