25 hours 10 min. (22 CDs / MP3)
In this study on the Seven Sacraments, based on college-level lectures, Dr. Brant Pitre brings his knowledge of Sacred Scripture and ancient Jewish tradition to bear on a topic that touches every Catholic’s spiritual life: the Seven Sacraments. Dr. Pitre provides an extensive introduction to the Sacraments as a whole, as well as an in-depth study on each individual sacrament. In this course you will cover topics such as:
• The “New” Definition of the Sacraments: One of the most striking aspects of the new Catechism is its definition of the sacraments as “powers that flow from the body of Christ.” Learn why this definition is so amazing and why it has the power to revolutionize the way Catholics see them.
• The “Sacraments” and the “Mysteries”: What is the relationship between the Seven “Sacraments” and Seven “Mysteries”? How are the Sacraments “mysteries,” and what invisible realities do they reveal?
• The Biblical Basis for All Seven Sacraments: Where are the Seven Sacraments in the Bible? Are they Biblical? Learn how all seven sacraments are present at the beginning and end of the Bible, in Genesis and Revelation.
• Baptism: What is the meaning of Baptism? Why can Baptism be called “the sacrament of crucifixion”?
• Confirmation: In recent years there has been much controversy (and confusion) about this sacrament. When should it be given? And what does it mean? Learn why it is that it can truly be called the “sacrament of evangelization and martyrdom."
• The Eucharist: Is the Eucharist truly the “body and blood” of Christ? Do Catholics worship the Eucharist? Why is it “the source and summit of the Christian life”?
• The Sacrament of Confession: In our time, there is perhaps no sacrament more criticized (and more needed) than Confession. But people often ask: “Why do I need to go to a priest”? Is there any biblical basis for confession to a priest? Why did St. Augustine say that the reconciliation of a sinner was “a greater miracle than the creation of heaven and earth.”
• The Anointing of the Sick: Nowadays, almost no sacrament is more overlooked than the anointing of the sick. And yet everyone suffers, and we will all die. What are the biblical bases of this sacrament, and what does it mean to call it “the sacrament of redemptive suffering”?
• The Mystery of Indulgences: In a special bonus, Dr. Pitre gives an extensive explanation of the much misunderstood practice of Indulgences. Does the Church still practice Indulgences? Is there any biblical bases for them? Learn where indulgences are taught in Scripture (by Jesus!), why indulgences are one of the best-kept secrets in the Church, and why the Enemy does not want you to understand (or practice) them.
• The Sacraments of Service: What is the relationship between the sacrament of Holy Matrimony and Holy Orders? How are they both ordered toward “the salvation of others"?
• The Mystery of the Priesthood: Is there any biblical basis for an ordained priesthood? What is the difference between the priesthood of the baptized and the ministerial priesthood? Where are the three levels of Holy Orders taught in the Bible, and how are they rooted in the Old Testament?
• Women and Holy Orders: Why is it that only Baptized men can be Priests? Will there ever be women priests? Were there ever priestesses in the Bible and the history of the Church? In this section, Dr. Pitre will equip you to be able to explain the Church’s practice from a deeply biblical perspective.
• Celibacy and Virginity for the Kingdom: Why do priests take a vow of celibacy in the Western Church? Why did Jesus call his disciples to celibacy for the sake of the kingdom of heaven? And if celibacy is the norm, why does the New Testament appear to mention married bishops? And why does the Catechism discuss consecrated virginity in the section on Marriage?!
• The Mystery of Holy Matrimony: In our time more than ever we need holy families. But what is the meaning of the sacrament of Marriage? And how is it tied to the nuptial union of Christ and his Bride, the Church? Why did Jesus prohibit remarriage, and what exactly is an “annulment”?
The sacraments are the most important (and most misunderstood) aspects of Catholic faith and life, and this trilogy is Dr. Pitre’s most detailed study yet. Don’t miss it!
Amazing product! Dr. Pitre is so talented.
I am a huge fan of Dr Pitre. What a gift he is for the Catholic faith. I learn so much from him in these classes. People are so hungry to learn the faith and he makes it so easy to understand. Makes me want to move to Louisiana so I can take the classes in person.
Dr Pitre is a great witness, who transmits his faith by teaching the truth of the faith... I wish all christians professors were likewise.
I am so much more excited about the sacraments and feel soooo much closer to Christ since listening to and participating in this study. Thank you Dr. Pitre for all your work on our behalf. I will pray for you and for your family. Ina Wiser
Outstanding opportunity to learn prayer with a compliment of resources from the Catechism as well as saints and great mystics. My interest in purchasing was to learn how to pray but I've learned that the learning is an invitation to change my life.