21 hours 3 min. (17 CDs / MP3)
Almost everyone has heard about Pope John Paul II’s “Theology of the Body.” But what about a Theology of theSoul? In this exciting new series, Dr. Brant Pitre turns his attention to what Jesus himself called “the one thing necessary” (Luke 10:42)—the life of prayer. Many Christians want to live the spiritual life, but they’re not sure just how to do it. In these lectures, Dr. Pitre draws on the riches of the Bible, the writings of mystics, and the insights of theologians to shed light on the mystery of the spiritual life. In this course, you will learn about such topics as:
• What is Prayer? The Catechism lists three kinds: (1) Vocal Prayer, (2) Meditation, and (3) Contemplation. But what is the difference between them? And how does on practice them? Dr. Pitre will take you step-by-step through the beautiful section on Prayer in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
• Difficulties in Prayer: Ever feel like you want to pray, but you don’t know how? What do you do when prayer is dry? In addition to giving you a theology of prayer, this series is filled with all kinds of practical tips—straight from the saints themselves—on how to overcome obstacles in the “battle” of prayer.
• The Secret of the Rosary: All Catholics are familiar with the Rosary, but some find it boring. Others wonder if it breaks Jesus command against “heaping up empty phrases” (Matthew 6:7). Learn here just how amazingly biblical the Rosary really is, as well as the secret to praying it well.
• The Bible and Lectio Divina: Everyone knows how to read the Bible, but do we know how to pray it? Find out the four basic steps for praying Scripture, and how meditation on Scripture can breathe life into your prayer.
• The Dark Night of the Soul: St. John of the Cross described two “dark nights” of the soul. What are they? And who goes through them? Learn just what they are, and how not to fall away when they take place.
• The Three Stages of the Spiritual Life: Catholic theology teaches about three stages in the spiritual life: (1) the Purgative Way, (2) the Illuminative Way, and (3) the Unitive Way. But what are these stages? When do they take place? How does someone move from one to another? How do the Seven Deadly Sins keep us from making progress? And where am I in my spiritual life? Over half this course is devoted to walking you, step by step, through the three stages, and showing you how they are mysteriously revealed in the Tabernacle of Moses and the life of Saint Peter.
In short, Dr. Pitre’s Spiritual Theology is a must-own for anyone interested in deepening their life of prayer and answering Christ’s universal call to holiness.
This is the third "course" I have purchased from Catholic Productions. I am so blessed to listen in to the college classes that Dr. Pitre teaches. I highly recommend this particular series for anyone interested in moving forward in their spiritual formation. Dr. Pitre provides many references from the Bible, ancient Jewish understanding, and current Catechism references for each type of prayer and phase of spiritual development, providing a meaningful guide for our journey.
EXCELLENT! Many deep insight. Thank you
Spiritual Theology: Christian Prayer and the Three Stages of the Spiritual Life
I am always inspired and energized by Dr. Pitre's work. And I don't want to give away secrets, but this has provided ample material for preaching! Listen and Learn from Dr. P!
Spiritual Theology has changed the way I think about my faith and the way I practice it. It has provided me with my own private Bible Study which I can listen to at my convenience and at my own pace. It has given me answers to questions I didn’t even know I had. It has ignited a motivation to learn, change and act in ways I would never have believed possible. I highly recommend this course to you regardless of what stage you are at in your journey of faith. I love it and can continue to dip in and out of it whenever I like. Thank you Dr Pitre and Catholic Productions.