1 hour 18 min. (1 CD / 1 DVD / MP3)
Have you ever wondered why we do what we do at Mass? Why do we rise when the Priest enters the sanctuary? Why make the Sign of the Cross at the beginning and end? Why do we sometimes sit, sometimes stand, and sometimes kneel? And what is the meaning of the various prayers and responses that fill up our weekly hour of worship?
In this Bible study, Dr. Brant Pitre takes you on a biblical tour of the Mass, using Sacred Scripture and ancient Jewish tradition to show you the biblical roots of the various parts of the Catholic Mass. Along the way, you’ll learn such things as:
• How Mass tells us that we are entering into the “Tabernacle” of Moses in order to meet God
• Where the “Sign of the Cross” can be found in the Old Testament
• Why the two blind men cried out, “Lord, Have Mercy” (Kyrie Eleison) and what should be going on inside of us when we cry out with them
• Where the “Glory to God in the highest” (the Gloria) comes from in the Bible, and why we sing it during some seasons (Ordinary Time), but not during others (Advent)
• Why we stand for the Gospel reading, and where the practice of biblical homilies can be found in Scripture
• Where the “Holy, Holy, Holy” (the Sanctus) comes from in the Bible
• And much more…
According to Pope Benedict XVI, in order for Christians to actively and fruitfully participate in the Mass, they must understand “the meaning of the signs contained in the rites” (Sacrament of Charity, 64). In this revealing presentation, Dr. Brant Pitre heeds Pope Benedict’s call by explaining the biblical meanings of the Mass’s most significant moments, so that you can enter more fully into this most sacred of Mysteries.
*Note from Catholic Productions*
While there is overlap between this series and The Biblical Roots of the Mass: A Scriptural Explanation of the New Roman Missal, there is significant dissimilarity both in content and in focus. Nevertheless, we wanted our patrons aware that there will be some overlap between this and the aforementioned set.