• How does the Sermon present Jesus as a New Moses?
• What Kingdom & Temple themes are found in the Sermon?
• What are the opposing vices to the Sermon's beatitudes?
3 hours 2 min. (4 CDs / MP3)
It is the greatest sermon ever preached. By anyone. Anywhere. Period. The early Church Fathers quoted more from this sermon than any other part of the Bible. St. Augustine considered it the summary of Christian faith and life. It has inspired countless numbers of people to abandon their wealth and comfort in order to devote themselves to prayer and serving the poor. Without it, the health care and social service systems of Western societies would never have developed. In recent times, it has profoundly shaped the lives of world-historical figures: Leo Tolstoy, Mahatma Ghandi, Blessed Theresa of Calcutta.
Yet for all this, how many Christians have read the Sermon on the Mount through in one sitting? How many could even find it in the Bible, much less explain what it means and how it should be put into practice?
In this four-hour CD set, Dr. Bergsma teaches through the Sermon on the Mount, addressing questions like:
• Is there a theme that ties this Sermon together?
• What does it mean to be “poor in Spirit?”
• Why is the Sermon on the Mount like a pilgrimage to the true Temple?
• Does Jesus really forbid self-defense?
• Does Jesus really expect us to be “perfect”?